This booklet helps students to learn about organizing and identifying new locations that explorers explored and the Age of Revolution, technology, and the Americas.
1. Objectives •Organize and identify new locations that explorers discovered. •Name, write, and organize information of at least 3 explorers.
2. Social Studies The Age of Exploration
3. Why Explore? • Spices • Technology- made it safer • Rich • Religion
4. New Technology • Made longer sea voyages possible • Better sails- made it move faster
5. Magnetic Compass • Needle always points North *Helped sailors figure out what way they were traveling
6. Gunpowder • Sailors mounted cannons on their ships. • Made it safer to travel great distances
7. Why did he become famous? • He was a famous sailor and explorer. • He led a voyage from the Old World in search of a new route to India and China. • He landed in the Americas. They were also called the New World during the years that Columbus was alive. • His discoveries inspired the European countries to explore and colonize the Americas.
9. What are the Americas? • They include the continents of North America and South America. • The Americas include Canada, the United States of America, Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Brazil, the Bahamas, and many other countries.
10. The Americas
11. What was the New World and the Old World? • The New World were the countries that made up the Americas. The people who lived in Europe and Asia knew little to nothing about these lands. • The Old World were the continents of Europe, Asia, and Africa.
12. The Vision for the Future • In 1486, Columbus asked the leaders of Spain to pay for a trip to find a new route to Asia. They said no to his request. • In 1492, Columbus asked King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella a second time to sponsor his voyage to Asia. This time they agreed to pay his fees.
13. What were the names of Columbus’s three ships? • The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria were the three ships that Columbus used to reach the New World.
14. Columbus Sails West • Columbus set sail from Spain with three ships on August 3, 1492.
15. How many days where the sailors and Columbus at sea? • It took Columbus and the sailors thirty-six days to reach the New World by ship.
16. When did Columbus reach the New World? • Shortly after midnight on October 12, 1492, a sailor on board the Pinta saw land on the horizon.
17. Where did Columbus land? • He named the island San Salvador. It is now part of the present-day Bahamas. • Columbus thought he was really near India. • He then named the area the West Indies. • He named the people he met the Indians. • He also visited the islands of present-day Cuba and Hispaniola.
18. Columbus’s Voyage
19. Exploration Continues • People began to hear about the amazing things that Columbus had done in the New World. Many other countries began to send their own explorers to the New World. • Two or the more famous explorers to follow in Columbus’s footsteps were Amerigo Vespuci and Vasco Nunez de Balboa.
20. Ferdinand Magellan • His crew made first round-the-world voyage in 1522. • Proved for certain that the world was round. • Magellan was killed in the Phillippines, did not make it home.