Explaining the base verb exceptions that do not follow standard rules for conversion to the past tense format. The past tense is a grammatical tense whose function is to place an action or situation in the past.
1. Pas t S im p l e Irregul ar v er b s
2. Irregular verbs make the past form in different ways. Ex: go - went eat - ate take - took
3. Negative sentences Subject + didn’t + infinitive Ex: You didn’t buy tickets for the concert.
4. Interrogative sentences Did + subject + infinitive Ex: Did she buy a CD?
5. Ask and answer. Follow the model. Michael / do / his homework? Did Michael do his homework? Yes, he did.
6. x Ann / eat / pizza? Did Ann eat a hamburger? No, she didn’t. She ate salad.
7. they / win / the game? Did they win the match? Yes, they did.
8. Sue / catch / the x bus to work? Did Sue ride her bike to work? No, she didn’t. She drove to work.
9. they / go / to the beach? Did they go to the beach? Yes, they did.
10. you / make / an x apple pie? Did you make an mince pie? No, I didn’t. I made a chocolate cake.
11. Peter/ buy / a new camera? Did Peterbuy a new camera? Yes, he did.
12. Maggie / drink / x water? Did Maggie drink beer? No, she didn’t. She drank orange juice.