Active voice means that a sentence has a subject that acts upon its verb, whereas passive voice means that the same subject is a recipient of the verb's action.
1. Using Active and Passive Voice
2. Would you rather? Watch Lebron play basketball or some random person sitting in the
3. Verbs and Voice Voice is the form a verb takes to indicate whether the subject of the verb performs or receives the action. There are two types of voice: active voice and passive voice.
4. Active Voice Active voice is used to show that the subject of the sentence is performing or causing the action. Lebron threw the basketball before the buzzer. Lebron shot the basketball from the free throw line. Lebron scored three points.
5. Passive Voice Passive voice is used when the subject is the recipient of the action. The ball was thrown by Lebron. The basket was shot by Lebron. The score was made by Lebron.
6. Why does it matter? WRITING USES ACTIVE VOICE!!!!
7. Why does it matter? Active voice is more direct and concise. Passive voice is usually wordier. Active voice is like watching Lebron play. Passive voice is like watching gum stuck on the bleachers in the stands. MOST OF THE TIME, YOU WANT TO USE ACTIVE VOICE!!!!
8. When would you WANT to use passive voice? When intentionally trying to hide the subject of the sentence. For example, a politician might say, “The mistake was made by someone.” Hiding the subject helps him/her hide the blame. When intentionally trying to minimize the guilt of the subject. For example, a cheating boyfriend might say, “Cheating was committed by me.” When passive voice better emphasizes the main point of the message, such as “Children were harmed by the drunk driver.”
9. Form of Passive Voice Verbs The passive voice requires a "double verb" and will always consist of a form of the verb "to be" and the past participle (usually the "en/ed/t" form) of another verb. Example: Active: John baked the bread. Passive: The bread was baked by John. (Was is a form of the verb “be”.)
10. Form of Passive Voice Verbs Writers should be familiar with the forms of "to be" , often called linking verbs, so that they can easily identify the passive voice in their work. Review the forms of "to be": am, is, are, was, were, be, being, been
11. Form of Passive Voice Verbs Note the forms of "to be" in the examples of the verb "to kick" in various forms of the passive voice: is kicked----------------had been kicked was kicked-------------is going to be kicked is being kicked---------will be kicked has been kicked-------can be kicked was being kicked------should be kicked
12. Form of Passive Voice Verbs Examples: Passive: The cookies were eaten by the children. Active: The children ate the cookies. Passive: The tunnels are dug by the gophers. Active: The gophers dug the tunnels.
13. Weird Version of this lesson… http://www.watchknowlearn.org/Video.aspx?VideoID=2 5187&CategoryID=3564
14. Let’s Practice Label the following sentences ACTIVE or PASSIVE. 1. Louise made the chocolate cake. 2. The chocolate cake was made by Louise. 3. The package was advertised by the travel agent. 4. The travel agent advertised the package. 5. The chain was broken by my brother. 6. My brother broke the chain on my bike. 7. I hemmed the prom dress. 8. The prom dress was hemmed by me. 9. The pencil on the floor was broken by him. 10.He broke the pencil on the floor.
15. Let’s Practice Directions: Change the sentences below to the active voice. 1. The statue is being visited by hundreds of tourists every year. 2. My books were stolen by someone yesterday. 3. These books had been left in the classroom by a careless student. 4. Coffee is raised in many parts of Hawaii by plantation workers. 5. The house had been broken into by someone while the owners were on vacation.
16. Rewrite the following paragraph in the active voice. Last summer our house was painted by me. First, the exterior was washed using warm water and a mild detergent. Then all of the chinks in the walls were sealed with putty. After the putty had had a chance to dry, the exterior could be painted. A latex paint was used because it is easy to apply and cleans up with water. A whole week was needed to finish this part of the job. A color was used that was very close to the original color. When the job was finished, a great deal of satisfaction was felt by me. Even my dad said that a good job was