The cell has three main parts: the cell membrane, the nucleus, and the cytoplasm. The cell membrane surrounds the cell and controls the substances that go into and out of the cell. The nucleus is a structure inside the cell that contains the nucleolus and most of the cell's DNA.
1. Cells: The Basic Units of Life
2. How big is a cell? • http://www.cellsalive.com/howbig.htm
3. The Cell Theory 1. All organisms are made of cells. 2. The cell is the basic unit of life in all living things. 3. All cells come from existing cells. THIS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT SHOWS THAT ALL LIVING THINGS SHARE A SIMILAR
4. Two Types of Cells All cells, whether they are prokaryotic or eukaryotic, have some common features
5. Organelles Organelles are structures that enable the cell to live, grow and reproduce.
6. Two Types of Cells Prokaryotic Cells: • Have no membrane covered nucleus • Have no membrane - covered organelles • Have circular DNA • Are bacteria
7. Two Types of Cells Eukaryotic Cells: • Have a nucleus • Have a membrane - covered organelles • Have linear DNA • Are all other cells
8. Organelles Organelles are structures that enable the cell to live, grow and reproduce.
9. Cell Membrane • Outer layer of cell • Allows nutrients into the cell and wastes outside of the cell “Gate into the city” Cell Membrane
10. Cytoplasm • Cytoplasm a jelly-like fluid contained in the cell that holds the organelles.
11. The Nucleus DNA • The control center of the cell • Contains the Cell’s DNA Nuclear Membrane “Mayor’s office”
12. Mitochondria Outer Membrane • Power center of cell • Provides the energy the cell needs to move, divide, etc. Inner Membrane “Electric company of the cell”
13. Ribosomes • Site where proteins are made • Cell parts are made of proteins “Factories of the cell”
14. Endoplasmic Reticulum Endoplasmic Reticulum • Transportation system of cell • Rough ER- ribosome's attached • Smooth ER- no Ribosomes ribosome's “Roadways of the cell”
15. Golgi Complex • Packaging house of cell • Packages, processes, and ships out the stuff the cell makes “UPS of the cell”
16. Lysosomes • Digests food particles and cell parts – “Garbage men” • Protects cell by digesting foreign invaders – “Police men
17. Vacuole • Stores water, food & wastes Vacuole is largest organelle in plant cell
18. Cell Wall • Found only in plant cells • Protects and supports the cell
19. Chloroplasts • Found only in plant cells • Contains chlorophyll (makes plants green) • Where photosynthesis takes place
20. Plant or Animal Cell? Found in Plant and Animal cells: Found only in Plant Cells: • Nucleus • Chloroplasts • Golgi Complex • Mitochondrion • Cell Wall • Lyosomes • Endoplasmic Reticulum • Cell Membrane • Ribosomes • Vacuoles