This handout details the five crucial steps one must follow to develop perfect writing skills. Think before you write. Taking time to think before you write will help your email or presentation come together effortlessly. Do your research. Create an outline. Understand your audience. Keep it simple.
1. OF THE WRITING
2. 5 STEPS OF THE WRITING PROCESS * STEP 1: PREWRITING * STEP 2: DRAFTING * STEP 3: REVISING * STEP 4: PROOFREADING * STEP 5: PUBLISHING
3. STEP 1; PREWRITING ° Decide on a topic to write about. ° Consider who will read or listen to your written work. ° Brainstorm ideas about the subject. * List places where you can research ° Do your research.
4. STEP 2: DRAFTING > Put the information you researched into your own words. » Write sentences and paragraphs even if they are not perfect. » Read what you have written and judge if it says what you mean. * Show it to others and ask for
5. STEP 3: REVISING “MAKE IT BETTER” » Read what you have written again. * Think about what others said about » Rearrange words or sentences. - Take out or add parts. * Replace overused or unclear words. * Read your writing aloud to be sure it flows smoothly.
6. STEP 4; PROOFREADING “MAKE IT CORRECT” (EDITING AND ° Be sure all sentences are ° Correct spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. * Change words that are not used * Have someone check your work. * Recopy it correctly and neatly.
7. STEP 5: PUBLISHING “SHARE THE FINISHED PRODUCT” * Read your writing aloud to a * Publish your work in the Student or Parent Newsletter.
8. 5 STEPS OF THE WRITING PROCESS * STEP 1: PREWRITING * STEP 2: DRAFTING ° STEP 3: REVISING “MAKE IT BETTER”