This vocabulary chart lists various kinds of words and their meanings. A defining vocabulary is a list of words used by lexicographers to write dictionary definitions.
1. JOURNEY'S 5” CYT Ey VOCABULARY LESSONS ee at aa
Pe ae EACH SLIDE CONTAINS: @ O
2. hei es Tree Be elmore 0 SILA oon RCS Cer ML SR eee a Ce MO RLS ACR CRA these routines and we had almost 100% of all students exceeding on vocabulary CS eS Ny the word (have students repeat the word) Read the definition (with students) ne RUA aS eS BOR Sere RRNA eA RUM ACO OR Oa Badr ease RCM Tm MOR eM ed UR a LR am rer a CSS ALOR aL CAR rR OL
3. Wayside School Week |
4. a certain skill specialty) or knowiedge of something * Her specialty is making What is your specialty? homemade chocolates. * The doctor's specialty is working with cancer patients.
5. to fall collapsed dasha * When | grabbed the brick What would a cake look from the tower, tal ike if it collapsed? collapsed and fell to the floor. "A cake would look like * After the mile run, the = fo if students collapsed onto the it collapsed."
6. . , _ it interrupts disturbing} what you are doing ° My sister was disturbing me Thumbs up/thumbs down: while | tried to do my which of these things would homework. be disturbing to you? * Quiet sleeping baby * Loud noises are disturbing * Someone chewing with their the students who are taking mouth open a test. * Crickets outside your window at night
7. * | chased after the flies squashing as many as | could with my giant fly swatter. * The students were squashing their clay into shapes for math class. to crush or flatten Thumbs up/thumbs down: which of these items are capable of squashing? * Cookie ° Bread Dough Spider * Wood * Magazine
8. to move or change + We worked as a team and | Which of these words are shifted all the pieces of the a synonym for shifted? puzzle together to fit perfectly. * change —* budged * stuck * moved * The boys teeth shifted because he did not wear his * stubborn * unchanged
9. having very little sensation or feeling ° After getting a cavity filled What would be hard to do at the dentist my whole face | jf your hands were numb? was numb. "It would be hard + My fingers and toes were to numb after playing in the if my hands were snow all morning. numb."
10. to walk * Karla staggered down the | Which words have similar street after she fell and cut her knee. meanings to staggered? * stumbled — * swayed * The student's staggered * marched * wobbled down the hall to class ran * dashed because they had heavy backpacks on.
13. * The principal's Thumbs up/thumbs down: What activities would you be annoyed if they were interrupted? announcement interrupted the students taking their tost * video games * homework * The commercial interrupted = dewer the movie that was playing on the television. sport game