Explaining the importance of telling facts and opinions apart. A fact is a statement that can be proven true or false. An opinion is an expression of a person's feelings that cannot be proven.
1. Facts & Opinions Why do they matter?
2. Something Opinion Words YOU think, om le ho rri b s believe or aw e borin eeas g feel. y difficult fun ugly beautif It can NOT be ul gre a ti n g proven! t exc i
3. Fact - How can you Something PROVE it? that can be * numbers * PROVEN. senses * locations *dates & times * research * professional
4. Let’s Practice!
5. The Grand Canyon is the most gorgeous location in the United States. _____ The Grand Canyon is located in Arizona. _____ The Grand Canyon is over 6,093 feet deep. _____
6. Mary Castle Elementary school has seven hundred three students. _____ Mary Castle Elementary School has an awesome team of teachers. _____ Mary Castle Elementary School was named after a former Lawrence Township educator. _____
7. Your Turn! Create your own facts & opinions
8. Opinion - Indianapolis is an ____________ place to live. Fact - In Indianapolis you can visit the Fact - Indianapolis has the largest ____________ in the Midwest.
9. Opinion - Vanilla cake is the ___________ cake flavor to make. Fact - When you make a vanilla cake, the color is _______________. Fact - To make a vanilla cake you need _____ eggs, _____ cup of water and ____ cup of oil.