a table of the chemical elements arranged in order of atomic number, usually in rows, so that elements with similar atomic structure (and hence similar chemical properties) appear in vertical columns
1. Introduction to the Periodic Table Atomic Number ● Symbol ● Atomic Weight Element ● Compound ● Mixture
2. I am Dmitri Mendeleev! I made the PERIODIC TABLE !
3. What is the PERIODIC TABLE? o Shows all known elements in the universe. o Organizes the elements by chemical properties.
4. How do you read the PERIODIC TABLE?
5. What is the ATOMIC NUMBER? o The number of protons found in the nucleus of an atom Or o The number of electrons surrounding the nucleus of an atom.
6. What is the SYMBOL? o An abbreviation of the element name.
7. What is the ATOMIC WEIGHT? o The number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.
8. How do I find the number of protons, electrons, and neutrons in an element using the periodic table? o # of PROTONS = ATOMIC NUMBER o # of ELECTRONS = ATOMIC NUMBER o # of NEUTRONS = ATOMIC _ ATOMIC WEIGHT NUMBER
9. Now you are almost as smart as I am! But not as handsome! Man, I look GOOD!
10. Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
11. What is an ELEMENT? o A substance composed of a single kind of atom. o Cannot be broken down into another substance by chemical or physical means.
12. What is a COMPOUND? o A substance in which two or more different elements are CHEMICALLY bonded together.
13. What is a MIXTURE? o Two or more substances that are mixed together but are NOT chemically bonded.
14. Element, Compound or Mixture?
15. Element, Compound or Mixture?
16. Element, Compound or Mixture?
17. Element, Compound or Mixture?
18. Element, Compound or Mixture?
19. Element, Compound or Mixture?
20. You are still not as handsome as the great Mendeleev! I am working this beard! Man, I look GOOD!