The most important factor in improving student achievement is the teacher. The improvement of a student's achievement is only possible with the help of a knowledgeable and skillful teacher. Hence, for a good quality teacher training of the new teachers becomes an important concern.
1. Building a Classroom Community: Teachers should build a classroom community before attempting academics. They must make time to get to know each and every student of their class. This makes classroom management much easier.
2. Practising sound classroom management skills: Teachers should be trained to remain calm and composed irrespective of the situation especially when managing a classroom of children.
The five most important classroom management strategies on which to train teacher candidates:
Rules: Establish a good set of rules and teach these rules to students to communicate for better behavior expectations.
Routines: Establish routines to help and guide students in a wide variety of situations.
Praise: Positive behavior is reinforced by praising one other.
Misbehavior: Teach the students to respect each other and constantly impose the consequences for misbehavior.
Engagement: Encourage student engagement by teaching interesting lessons that include opportunities for active student participation.
3. Flexible teaching methods: Teachers should be trained in such a way that they should be flexible with their teaching methods according to the student demand.
4. Make the learning enjoyable for the students: Teachers should find a way to make the learning interactive and engaging.
5. Expectations should be clear with each assignment: Teachers should review the goals of each assignment. This enables the student to think conceptually and prepare good notes.
6. Making relationships with parents: Teachers should be well trained and should have proper plans to manage the parents. It’s important to have positive connections between parents and teachers for the children to do better in academics as well as in social life.
7. Handling weak students: Weak students need special attention. Teachers should be trained to take care of these students by motivating and encouraging them.