This pdf contains a brief introduction to the plants and their growth.
1. Science Virtual Learning 2nd Grade Growth of Plants April 17, 2020
2. Review Vocabulary A plant needs these 5 things! 1. Air: Plants need to breathe. 2. Sun: Plants need energy to make food. 3. Water: Plants need to stay hydrated. 4. Soil: A plant needs to bury its roots. 5. Space: A plant needs room to grow.
3. Click below to hear a song about all the Click Here! things plants need! The Needs of a Plant
4. Click below to hear a song about all the Click Here! things plants need! What a Plant needs to Survive
5. Plants need air! ● Plants breathe through tiny holes in their leaves. ● Plants breathe in carbon dioxide. ● Plants breathe out oxygen. ● Animals need this oxygen to breathe!
6. Plants need air! A plant uses the carbon to make food, and releases the A plant cannot oxygen back into make food the air! without a gas in the air called carbon dioxide!
7. Plants need sunlight! ● Plants get their energy from the sun! ● Plants cannot eat food like us. ● Plants use solar energy to make their own food! ● Plants make a sugar called glucose.
8. Plants need sunlight! A plant uses solar power! A leaf uses light energy as power to make food, like a solar panel uses the sun’s energy for power!
9. Plants need water! ● Plants wilt without water. ● All living things need water. ● Living things are made mostly out of water! ● Plants cannot survive without water.
10. Plants need water! Plants collect water from the ground using roots! Plants help soak up the rain!
11. Plants need soil! ● Plants need soil or dirt to put down their roots. ● Roots keep a plant held into the ground. ● A plant would blow away without roots! ● Plants get nutrients from the soil.
12. Plants need soil! Roots keep the dirt from washing away! Roots hold a plant in the ground!
13. Plants need space! ● Plants need room to grow. ● Plants needs room to spread their roots. ● If there are too many plants close together, they might not get enough resources.
14. Plants need space! This farmer is leaving room for each plant There is to grow! empty space between each plant!
15. Engage: Practice #3 What happens when plants needs are met? Plants can grow and change! Plants can reproduce Plants can survive and thrive!
16. 1. What jobs do the roots do? Engage: a. Hold the plant down and collect water. Test your b. Make the food and collect air. knowledge! 2. What jobs do the leaves do? a. Hold the plant down and collect water. Try these on your own! b. Make the food and collect air. Check your answers 3. What three things do plants use to make on the next slide! food? a. sunlight, sugar and starch b. salt and water c. hot chips d. sunlight, air, and water
17. 1. What jobs do the roots do? Engage: a. Hold the plant down and collect water. Test your b. Make the food and collect air. 2. What jobs do the leaves do? a. Hold the plant down and collect water. b. Make the food and collect air. Check your answers here! 3. What three things do plants use to make food? a. sunlight, sugar and starch b. salt and water c. hot chips d. sunlight, air, and water
18. Practice on your own! Walk around your house and look at one plant! Write the name of the plant your sheet! Mark if the plant is having each of its needs met!