In this lesson, students will learn how to compose biographies, both for themselves and for others. An ideal Biography essay should have little known facts about the person.
2. Biography bi·og·ra·phy : n. pl. bi·og·ra·phies An account of a person's life written, composed, or produced by another
3. Autobiography n. pl. The biography of a person written by that person
4. The 10 Elements Birthdate and place Family Members Childhood and School Life Hobbies, Interests, and Activities Anecdotes Career Reason for Fame Later Life/Old Age Death Photos and Likenesses
5. Birthplace and date When was the person born? Where was the person born? Why was the family in that location at that time?
6. Family Members Birth Order Spouse, Children Any other members of the family who were notable in some way
7. Childhood and School Life Interestingstories about childhood or school Early achievements Any events that had an impact on their later life
8. Hobbies, Interests, and Activities Do the person’s hobbies or activities make them more interesting? Do the hobbies/activities have a bearing on why they have a biography about them? Do the hobbies/activities relate to other aspects of their life?
9. Anecdotes Interesting stories about why they are famous Interesting stories about the impact they have had on others
10. Career Is their career why they have a book written about them? Is their job similar or different from their hobbies and activities? Have they made significant contributions to mankind through their job?
11. Reason for Fame What did they do that caused someone to want to write a book about them? At what point in their life did they become famous?
12. Later Life/Old Age What did they do near the end of their life? Did they contribute to society, enjoy life, continue working? Were they honored in their lifetime for their achievements?
13. Death When and where did they die? Was there anything unusual or significant about their death? (Ex. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on July 4, 1826)
14. Photos and Likenesses Photographs or artists’ renderings of the person may be included