In this pdf we will learn about surface area and volume of sphere. The formula for the volume of a sphere is V = 4/3 πr^3. The formula of total surface area of a sphere in terms of pi (π) is given by: Surface area = 4π r^2 square units.
1. 10-8 Vocabulary Sphere Center of a sphere Radius of a sphere Hemisphere Great circle
2. 10-8 Spheres Geometry
3. Sphere Sphere – is the locus of points in space that are a given distance from a point. The point is called the “center of the sphere”. Radius – a segment from the center to a point on the sphere. Chord of a sphere – a segment whose endpoints are on the sphere Diameter – a chord that contains the center
4. Volume of a Sphere 4 3 V r 3
5. Example 1A Find the volume of the sphere. Give your answers in terms of π. d = 24 in
6. Example 1B Findthe diameter of a sphere with volume 36,000π cm³
7. More Definitions Ifa plane intersects a sphere and contains the center, then the intersection is called a great circle. Every great circle of a sphere separates a sphere into two congruent halves called hemispheres.
8. Example 2 Findthe volume of the hemisphere with radius of 15 m.
9. Surface Area of a Sphere 2 S . A. 4r
10. Example 3A Find the surface area of a sphere with a diameter of 76 cm. What is the surface area of the sphere?
11. Example 3B Findthe volume of the sphere with a surface area of 324π in².
12. Example 4 Find the surface area & volume of the composite figure. Give your answers in terms of π.