Exciting Challenge : Best way to Have Fun While You Study
taking about Thomas Edison
1. Virtual school Emmar English series_grade9 Module3_unit:6
2. Exciting challenge speaking _ Discuss favourite characters (5 minutes) 1_ who is he /she? 2_ what (is/was)(her/his) job? 3_ what is your favourite character?
3. Mothers' Decisions can Change the World • One day Thomas Edison came home and gave his mother a letter from his teacher. As she read the letter, his mother’s eyes were tearful. Thomas Edison's teacher wrote that Edison was mentally ill and wouldn't be allowed in school anymore. When Edison asked his mother what this letter said, she pretended to read it aloud, saying your son couldn't go to school because he was a genius and the school is too small for him. "Please teach him yourself." Edison’s mother hid the letter and decided to educate young Thomas at home.
4. Edison was homeschooled by his mother's decision; he wasn’t able to memorize lessons and needed hands-on experience to understand and learn things. Edison's mother wasn't frustrated; she wanted Edison to be a scientist. He grew up and set up a laboratory at home and began his own experiments. He also set up his own telegraph station and sent out messages by using a train At the age of 30, Edison invented the phonograph. His work in a number of fields created the basis for many technologies that we enjoy today. However, like anyone else, he suffered through failure numerous times, but where others quit, he After his mother's death, one day Edison found the hidden school letter, cried for hours and then he wrote in his diary, “Thomas Alva Edison was a mentally ill child that, by a hero mother, became a genius. Edison said: “My mother was a great woman, she believed in me and made me one of the greatest
5. A-Match the underlined words with their definitions • 1-pretend a-give up • 2-agenuis b-very smart • 3-frustrate c-show something not true • 4-quit d-feel depressed • B-Select a , b or c • 1-The teacher gave Edison a …….. • A-book B-letter C-pen D-money • 2-Edison began his experiment ……….. • A-at home B-in the street C-at school D-in the village • 3-He was ………... when he invented the phonograph • A-fifty B-thirteen C-thirty D-ten
6. Decide if these sentences are True/T/ or False /F/ and correct the wrong ones. • 1-Edison's mother fell happy as soon as she read the letter(…….) • 2-Thomas Edison's teacher wrote that Edison was mentally ill (…..) • 3-Edison's mother decided to teach Edison abroad.(……) • 4-Edison wasn't able to invent anything when he grew up (…….) • exercises B/P.41+Vocabulary/P.41 Home work:
7. Decide if these sentences are True/T/ or False /F/ and correct the wrong ones. • 1-Edison's mother fell happy(sad) as soon as she read the letter (False) • 2.Thomas Edison's teacher wrote that Edison was mentally ill. (True) • 3-Edison's mother decided to teach Edison abroad(at home). (false) • 4-Edison wasn't able (was able)to invent anything when he grew up. (false) exercises B/P.41+Vocabulary/P.41 Home work:
8. Grammar(5 minutes) • Game: 5minutes • Open your book • Close your book • Sit down / standup • Don’t sit down • It’s an Imperative • Form: A.(Positive Imperative) • Verb+ rest of the sentence Zero form E.g: write your name.
9. B-(negative imperative) • Do + not +verb + rest of sentence zero form Don’t eat in the class room Home work That’s All Thank you